Sunday, February 12, 2012

Butternut Squash, Spinach and Goat Cheese Pizza


I really like.  No let me start again.  I LOVE butternut squash.  After all those years of not eating squash unless it was baked with butter and brown sugar and now I can't get enough.  Maybe it is the color.  Orange is one of my favorite colors after all!  I am game to try just about any recipe with butternut squash in it and when I came across this on Epicurious I had to give it a shot.  Squash, spinach, goat cheese and onions on a pizza - how could I go wrong?  Though a little bit time consuming I think this will make several repeat appearances!

Adapted from SELF October 2011 - on the Epicurious site

2 cups (I think I had closer to 2 1/2 or 3) butternut squash in 1/2 inch cubes
2 cups baby spinach
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
4 oz goat cheese
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 ball of pizza dough (I used Portland Pie Co. beer crust but wheat or garlic would have been good too)
salt
pepper
olive oil
corn meal

Preheat the oven to 400.

Toss the peeled cubed squash with olive oil, just enough to lightly coat it, and a little salt and pepper.  Spread the squash on a baking sheet and roast until fork tender, about 25 minutes. Stir the squash after about 15 minutes to make sure it doesn't dry out and that it cooks evenly.

In a large frying pan heat 1 tbls. of olive oil.  Saute the onion with a little salt and pepper until light brown, about 10 minutes.  Add 2 tbls. of water and stir, cooking an additional five minutes until brown.

Turn the oven up to 450.

Stretch the pizza dough and place on a baking sheet sprinkled with corn meal.  Stretch it into a rectangle, it will make it much easier to cut and eat!

Cover the dough with the spinach.  Then layer on the squash and onions.  Crumble up and add the goat cheese.  Sprinkle on the dried thyme and some freshly ground black pepper.  Drizzle on some olive oil - just draw a little zig zag over the top of the pizza.

Bake until the crust is nice and crispy and the cheese has started to brown, about 10 to 12 minutes.

You should get eight slices.  And I promise not to tell if you decide to eat them all yourself.  I understand the power of pizza!  And really you will be eating so many vegetables I don't think there is anything wrong with gobbling up the whole thing.  Just wait till it has cooled a little.  You don't want to burn your mouth for goodness sake!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment