Monday, May 28, 2012

Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Millet


I've been ignoring you.  I know.  Totally my fault.  But I haven't been idle.  I been busy.  Very busy.  I've been building vegetable gardens.  And trying to gain control over what was once a nice garden around the house but has recently turned into a jungle.  So I am working foot by foot to clear out the grass and the weeds and the debris.  But I'll save that for another post.  And because you have been so patient waiting for me to come back and share recipes with you again I am going to give you a great one.

Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Millet
Adapted from Joy the Baker - if you don't know her check her out - she is FABULOUS!

Makes two 4x8 loaves

1/2 cup butter melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup vegetable/canola oil
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
4 medium bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup raw millet, rinsed (just put it in a strainer and run some water over it)
 
Preheat oven to 350.  Make sure the rack is in the middle.  Grease and flour two 4x8 inch pans.
 
Whisk together butter, oil, sugars and eggs.  Beat until thoroughly combined.  Whisk in the vanilla, buttermilk and mashed bananas. 
 
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, salt, baking soda and cinnamon.  Stir in millet.  
 
Carefully pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and use a spatula or wooden spoon to fold together.
 
Divide the batter between the two prepared pans.  

Bake for about an hour or until a skewer comes out clean.  I've found that I need to bake for about 5 to 10 minutes longer and I like to rotate the pans at about 30 minutes to make sure that my oven is cooking evenly. 


Let the bread cool for about 15 minutes in the pans before transferring to a wire rack.  This is the tough part.  Being patient enough to let it cool completely.  Cause it smells so darn good!  But I promise it is worth the wait.  And it won't fall apart when you slice it when it is cool.  And you can always pop it in the toaster to warm it back up.  

And then you can spread Nutella on it!  And it is even more delicious that you thought it would be!
 
 
And then you might just get a second slice.  And you might have peanut butter on that one.  Totally up to you.

This bread will last, well wrapped, at room temperature for up to five days.  If you don't eat it all first!

No comments:

Post a Comment