Friday, November 18, 2011

Sweet Potato, Swiss Chard and Smoked Gruyere Turnovers


Three things that I love.  Wrapped in pie crust. What could be better?  

I found the recipe for these beauties in Real Simple a year or so ago.  The only things I changed were to swap the fresh thyme for dried and the Gruyere for smoked Gruyere.  Here is my reasoning.  I always have dried thyme in the cupboard.  If I buy fresh thyme I will not use it all before it starts to wilt.  I like smoked Gruyere better.  That is all. 

A confession - I use store bought refrigerated pie crusts for this.  If you want to spend the time to make your own pie crust by all means go ahead.  At some point I will probably make my own.  But for now it is just so easy to roll out and cut the premade crusts.  It makes for a much quicker assembly which means this turnover is on my plate with a salad and dinner is ready so much faster.


This makes four large turnovers.

1 bunch of Swiss chard - stems removed - chopped into ribbons (I used ruby chard but you could certainly use which ever kind looks best at the store)
1 large onion - diced
1 sweet potato (about 8oz - but more is ok you will be able to stuff it in if you stretch the crust) peeled and grated
5oz smoked Gruyere (If you don't like the smokey flavor just use regular Gruyere) grated
2 Tbls. olive oil
1 to 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
2 pie crusts
salt
pepper
1 egg - beaten 

Preheat your oven to 400.  

In a large frying pan saute the onion in olive oil.  Add some salt to help the onion cook more quickly, I like to add the thyme at this point so the flavor cooks into the onion.  When the onion becomes translucent add the Swiss chard and a couple of grinds of fresh black pepper.  Cook until the chard is wilted (about 3 minutes). 

In a large bowl combine the cooked vegetables with the grated sweet potato and the Gruyere.  Let it cool for a bit while you roll out and cut the pie crusts.  Cut the pie crusts in half so you have four half circles.

Divide the veggie mixture even between the four crusts.  The filling should be on one side of the crust with a 1/2 inch left as a border.  Moisten the border with water and stretch the other half of the pie crust over the filling.  Press the edges firmly to seal and then crimp.  If you use a fork make sure to dip it in cool water so the crust won't stick as you pull it away.  Place the turnovers on a baking sheet, I like to use parchment paper so they slide right off when they are done.  Cut three slits in the top of each turnover and then brush with the beaten egg.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden.

While they are baking throw together a quick salad and you are all set!  Be sure to let them cool a little, no matter how delicious they smell!  Enjoy!







No comments:

Post a Comment