Sunday, December 4, 2011

Lemon Marmalade Cake


Cake that tastes like pound cake but doesn't have any butter in it - what?  You're talking crazy talk.  Nope.  Not.  I am telling the truth.  I can't promise that this is good for you, it does have sugar in it after all, but it is pretty darn delicious!  I was on one of my favorite blogs, Pioneer Woman, recipe browsing.  Looking for a relatively simple and quick dessert that I could throw together and then bring in the car with out fear of anything falling apart.  I also wanted something that I already had all of the ingredients for.  I came across this.  On Pioneer Woman it is listed as Yogurt-Marmalade Cake.  The only thing I would recommend changing is the amount of glaze.  I ended up only using half of what it called for because it made so much.  So I'll give you the halved measurements for the ingredients.  And If you like lots of sticky orange marmalade glaze than by all means go ahead and double it!

 Now on to the making and eating!

The cake:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
1/2 tsp salt 
2 tsp baking powder 
1 cup (heaping) plain yogurt (PW called for low fat, I used Stoneyfield 0% plain, turned out just fine) 
1 cup sugar 
3 eggs 
1 tsp vanilla
zest of one lemon  
1/2 cup canola oil

The glaze:

1/4 cup marmalade
1/8 cup (2 Tbls.) plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 350.  Grease and flour a loaf pan.  Get your tunes queued up.  I would recommend Mason Jennings, but that is just me.  You might not like making cakes while listening to Mason Jennings.

Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder.  Set aside.  In another bowl wisk together yogurt, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla, sugar and oil.  Pour the yogurt mixture over the flour mixture and stir just to combine.  It will be lumpy.  Don't worry about the lumps.  I promise they will go away.  Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan.  Put it in the oven.  Do a little dance cause it was so quick and easy.

Leave it alone for about 45 minutes.  Test it to make sure it isn't still gooey in the middle.  Let it cool in the pan for a while.  While it is cooling make the glaze.  Spoon the marmalade into a sauce pan and let it melt, give it a couple of stirs with a wisk.  Add the yogurt and take it off the stove.  Stir with a wisk to make sure there aren't any yogurt lumps.  Take the cake out of the cake pan, if it is still quite warm let it cool a while longer.  If it is just a little pour the glaze over the top.


Cut yourself a piece right away to make sure it is good.  Then make some coffee and have another piece.  Then serve it for dessert with some vanilla ice cream and raspberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment