Saturday, March 10, 2012

Cranberry Lemon Muffins


These are not "cake" muffins.  If that was what you were hoping for I'm sorry.  These are the kind of muffins you can toast and put butter on and they won't fall apart.  They are the kind of muffins I like.  Just a tiny bit sweet and full of fruit.

I found the recipe on the Cooking Books Blog.  I was intrigued because usually you see cranberry and orange.  This has cranberry and lemon.  And since I was still trying to decide what to do with the lemon that grew on my lemon tree, I needed a quick grab and go breakfast to have around and I had some frozen cranberries in the freezer this was the perfect solution.

Adapted from Cooking Books, March 5, 2009
Makes 8 muffins

3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2/3 cup non-fat milk
2 tbls melted butter
1 cup cranberries (cut in half if they are big, frozen is fine no need to thaw)
zest of one lemon (I used a Meyer lemon cause that was what I had - I think the zest is a little sweeter and more fruity)

Preheat oven to 350

Grease a muffin tin or line with 8 muffin wrappers.  I'd strongly suggest you use muffin wrappers since cranberries have a tendency to explode and drip and get very sticky.  And who wants a sticky cranberry mess on their hands when all they wanted to do was eat a muffin?

Mix the flours, baking powder, salt and agave nectar in one bowl.  In a separate bowl mix the milk, butter and beaten egg.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Add the cranberries and lemon zest and gently fold everything together until just combined.  Fill the muffin cups and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.  Check on them at 15 and if a wooden tester comes out clean they are ready.  Let them cool just a little in the pan then transfer the ones you aren't going to eat right away to a wire rack to finish cooling.  
 
I would recommend eating one right away.  With butter.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment