Saturday, January 28, 2012

Apple Sharlotka


I am always game for making a cake.  I love cake.  Any kind.  Well actually that isn't true.  I do like chocolate cake the best.  But I think that this will come in a close second from now on.

I saw this on Smitten Kitchen and decided instantly to make it.  A less sweet, cakey, apple concoction.  Any cake that isn't too sweet and doesn't require frosting is perfect.  Perfect for breakfast that is!  I also was intrigued by the small list of ingredients.  Nothing special.  Nothing fancy.  And I had everything at home.  No special trips to the store for this one! 

Right.  On to the recipe!  Exactly as found on Smitten Kitchen.

6 large tart apples (I used Granny Smiths)
3 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup all purpose flour
cinnamon and powdered sugar to finish

Preheat oven to 350.  Line the bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan with parchment paper.  Butter the sides of the pan and the paper. 

Peel and core apples.  I quartered the apples and then sliced them into small chunks.  Approximately 1/2 inch by 1/4 inch pieces.  Pile all of the apple pieces into the prepared pan.

With an electric mixer, or a whisk and a strong arm, beat the eggs and sugar until the mixture looks like thick ribbons when you lift up the beaters or the whisk.  I was feeling strong and just used a whisk.  I think I beat everything for about a minute and a half.  Beat in the vanilla and then add in the flour, stirring with a spoon until just combined.  The batter will be very thick.

Pour the batter over the apples.  Use a spatula to push the batter into the apples and then bang the pan on the counter a couple of times to help the batter settle into the apples.  The batter should be level with the top of the apples.

Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, until a tester comes out clean.  Let the cake cool for ten minutes in the pan on a wire rack.  I was a little impatient and didn't wait that long and so part of the side sank into the cake.  My advice is to wait the full ten minutes.  Release the sides of the pan and flip the cake onto another rack.  Remove the parchment paper and then flip the cake off the rack onto a nice big plate.  Or a fancy cake stand it you have one.


TA DA!

Sprinkle the top of the cake with powdered sugar and cinnamon.


 Looks good doesn't it?


Cut yourself a slice and get ready to enjoy.


Put a nice plop of sour cream on top and give it a little extra sprinkle of cinnamon.  Look at those beautiful creamy apple pieces!


YUM!


Still delicious...


Wait.  Last bite already?  Better cut another piece...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment