Monday, January 23, 2012

Spicy Mango Tofu with Coconut Rice


This is one of those dinners that I make pretty often.  One because I always have the ingredients lurking in my fridge and two because it reheats really well for lunch at work.  It is prefect with just about any green vegetable, I used broccoli this time, I had planned to use bok choy but it froze in the fridge.  A word to the wise don't leave the bok choy in the "deli drawer" of your fridge.  It will freeze and you will become very annoyed. 

I don't remember where I came across this "marinade" but I am sure it was meant to go on chicken.  I think it makes a prefect baked on sauce for tofu.  I am not sure what the exact measurements are, but I'll give you close guesses.  It is the kind of thing that you can easily adjust for your own tastes and spice level.

4 tbls mango chutney
1 tbls tamari
1 tbls lime juice
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp sriracha
2 large garlic cloves

Preheat oven to 425

Put everything in a mini food processor, or blender.  Blitz until smooth.

Drain one block of extra firm tofu.  You can wrap it in a clean kitchen towel and gently press it to get most of the water out.  Cut into pieces about 1/2 inch thick.  You can leave them as "tofu steaks" or cut them into smaller cubes, or go crazy and do triangles.  I figured triangles would be nice this time.  I know.  Wacky.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  You'll thank me.  This sauce is STICKY.  Spread out your tofu and spoon the sauce over.  You'll use about half the sauce.

Bake for about 25 minutes.  Flip the pieces and then spoon on the rest of the sauce.  Bake for another 25 minutes or so.

While the tofu is baking prepare one cup of basmati rice according to the package directions.  When it is done fluff with a fork and gently add in two tbls of unsweetened coconut flakes.  I know this isn't "real" coconut rice.  But it is good.  And not as sticky sweet as the real deal.

Steam your green vegetable of choice.

Put a nice mountain of rice on your plate and load the sticky spicy tofu pieces on top.  Vegetables to the side please!  Drizzle over some tamari.  DELICIOUS!  This will serve two hungry people with some rice left over.  Save it and make a yummy fried rice with any leftover vegetables!

No comments:

Post a Comment