Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pasta with Mushrooms, Onion and Butternut Squash


Looking for another quick and delicious dinner?  This is a good one.  And if you have made the chicken, mushroom and bacon pie you have half a box of baby bellas in your fridge screaming to be used!  I love pasta.  I also love sauteed onions and mushrooms, roasted squash and olive oil.  And parmesean cheese.  Sooooo good!

So here is what you have to do.  Get the tunes.  Choose some good chopping tunes.  Allow me to recommend a little Mark Farina.  You'll thank me later.

1/2 a butternut squash peeled and cubed
4 oz sliced baby bella mushrooms
1 yellow onion sliced thin
1/2 lb. orecchiette pasta (it means little ears - I learned that when I had cable and watched the Food Network, I think they look like little hats.  Makes me think of Caps for Sale!)
olive oil
parmesan cheese
red pepper flakes
salt
freshly ground black pepper

Preheat your oven to 425

Peel and cube 1/2 a butter nut squash.  You want the cubes to be about 1/2 inch.  Toss with olive oil salt and pepper and spread out on a baking sheet.  Bake until fork tender.

Cook the pasta according to the package and drain.

Slice the yellow onion into thin strips.  Saute in olive oil with a little salt to pull the moisture out of the onion.  When the onion starts to become translucent add the mushrooms.  Saute until the mushrooms start to become golden.  Add about 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes.  Toss in the pasta and the squash.  Let everything mingle for a few minutes.  Add an extra glogg (yes that is the technical term) of olive oil if it looks a little dry.

Serve it up in a bowl with some parmesan cheese.  If you have some pine nuts I think those would be great on top.  Add a little crunch.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment